We all want to save money on our energy bills, and in doing so can also help sustain our planet. This Earth Day, check out some of the following earth-sustainability tips that can also add up to big savings on your energy bill.
1. Seal air leaks and properly insulate to save up to 20% on heating and cooling bills.
2. Turn off all lights, appliances and electronics not in use.
3. Use your windows shades to control your indoor temperature.
4. A programmable thermostat can save up to 10% on cooling and heating costs.
5. Look for the Energy Star label, the government’s symbol of energy efficiency, on a wide range of consumer products to save up to 30% on related electricity bills.
6. Reduce energy use to as much as 80% with energy-efficient halogen incandescent, compact fluorescents and LEDs.
7. Clean or change furnace filters regularly.
8. Reduce water heater temperature to 130° F to save energy and money on heating water.
9. Wash clothes in cold water.
10. Use low-flow faucets and shower heads to save on water bills.